We’re glad to report our 2022 annual meeting was a great success! Just in case you weren’t able to make it, you can watch the full Zoom presentation here. Below the video you will find resources and links mentioned during the event.
Arlington Friends of Urban Agriculture’s 2022 Annual Meeting was held on December 10, 2022 in person at Arlington Central Library and on Zoom. We’re happy to be able to offer this recording of the Zoom meeting, which includes the morning’s presentations. Along with an overview of FOUA’s activities, we were joined by Arlington County Board Members Matt de Ferranti and Libby Garvey. We were very happy to honor Sue Howell and her amazing Plot Against Hunger gardens with the Golden Radish Award! Our speaker for the morning was Eric Bendfeldt, Virginia Tech/Virginia Cooperative Extension Specialist, Community, Local, and Regional Food Systems and Associate Director, VT Center for Food Systems and Community Transformation. Eric’s links are also posted below.
Here is a rough table of contents:
- Welcome & Intro: 0:00
- Plot Against Hunger: 1:47
- Sign up to volunteer: 11:58
- HUG (Highlands Urban Garden): 15:40
- School Gardens Network: 20:20
- VCE (Virginia Cooperative Extension): 28:50
- International outreach: 34:34
- Harvesting Context: 37:54
- Arlington County Board Members Matt de Ferranti and Libby Garvey: 40:18
- Shout Our Your Radish!: 52:45
- 2022 GOLDEN RADISH AWARD – Sue Howell: 57:10
- Eric Bendfeldt, Virginia Tech/Virginia Cooperative Extension Specialist: 1:01:22
- 2023 FOUA Outlook & new board member: 1:29:42
- How YOU can get involved in 2023: 1:36:35
- Guess the melon!: 1:38:20
- Thank you from the board 1:41:20
It was great to see so many friends at our annual meeting this month. We were very happy to honor Sue Howell and her amazing Plot Against Hunger gardens with the Golden Radish Award! If you missed the meeting, you can view the video and read about it here. This year we accomplished so much with the help of partners, gardeners and volunteers!
Plot Against Hunger gardens donated over 14,568 pounds of fresh produce to local food pantries, and a hardy group of gleaners donated over 39,600 pounds! Plot Against Hunger and Master Gardener volunteers hosted several Wednesday Garden Talks at Central Library.
A quarter of Arlington County Schools participated in FOUA’s network of school garden coordinators working to achieve equitable and sustainable school garden programs.
FOUA’s first demonstration garden in a public space, Highlands Urban Garden, completed its second successful growing season, donating over 980 pounds of produce.
To help manage the hundreds of volunteers for Plot Against Hunger, gleaning and several gardens, we launched our new Volgistics volunteer management system where you can signup to volunteer.
FOUA board members participated on the County’s Food Security Task Force, which released its report this fall, and supported the County’s urban agriculture economic development efforts. Our October Urban Agriculture Month event focused on Arlington’s growing urban farm sector.
FOUA and Study Japanese in Arlington hosted a hybrid event to meet urban farmer Utsumi-san and learn about his orchard and urban vegetable farm located in Setagaya City. Thank you to former FOUA Board Member Matt McKinstry who orchestrated this from Toyko.
With your support we can make even greater progress in 2023! Please make a donation today!
Links and resources mentioned during the presentation:
- Arlington County Food Security Coalition
- Arlington County Food Security Strategic Plan (pdf)
- Arlington County Food Assistance Resources
- Healthy Food Access Policy Compendium for Metropolitan Washington
- White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health
- Biden-Harris Administration National Strategy on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health
- Virginia State University’s Sustainable and Urban Agriculture Program c/o Dr. Leonard Githinji
- VCE’s Community, Local, and Regional Food Systems Planned Program c/o Dr. Jayesh Samtani and French Price — Virginia Tech’s Center for Food Systems and Community Transformation
- Virginia Tech’s School for Plant and Environmental Sciences
- Virginia Association for Biological Farming (VABF)
- Virginia Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)
- Food Tank
- Civil Eats